Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Game of Love

I have to admit that there has always been bias in my judgment of beauty. Coyness and tradition have played integral roles in shaping my definition of attractiveness. Now that I am in Europe, I have actually come to realize that beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder. There are so many beautiful women here. I admire them in every way. I sometimes even regret being tied to Leonor but then I realize how hard it is to be waiting for me and how deep my love is for her and I scold myself for even entertaining the thought of cheating.

It is difficult to define cheating. There are too many rules in love. Too many boundaries and limits to set upon one’s self. I believe that there is nothing wrong to admire and express my appreciation of beautiful women. After all, flirting is a different game–a game that I find myself a veteran of. I have met plenty of pretty women during my stay here in Europe and I must say that my talent in writing certainly paved way. In fact, I have shown them a few of the poems I have made, sometimes even writing a poem personally for them.

When I met Consuelo Ortega, I immediately found her very beautiful. She didn’t look like all the other ladies I have met in the Philippines. She didn’t have the same sparkle that Leonor had in her eyes whenever she covered half of her face with her fan yet there was something in Consuelo that drew me closer. Although I knew that Eduardo is madly in love with her, I decided to talk to Consuelo. After all, there is nothing wrong with making new friends. She loved my romantic verse so I dedicated a poem entitled A la Senorita C.O. y R, especially for her. I think it might have been too much of a move, though. Eduardo has been telling me about his fear that Consuelo might have found another man. I do not want to destroy my good friendship with Eduardo. I am planning to end my fling with Consuelo. Besides, there are other fishes in the sea.

My good friend, Manuel, noticed my newfound “hobby” and expressed his worry. I assured him that I have become a womanizer. I simply am enjoying God’s abundant blessing of beauty and grace in so many women of so many races. There is really no need for concern. I will forever remain faithful to Leonor because my heart is truly hers. I am just waiting for the letters she promised to send me. I have sent her six letters so far and I haven’t gotten any reply from her. I assume there have been mix-ups again in our town…or dare I say, I hope. A month has passed since Leonor’s last letter and I can’t help but wonder if her mother has anything to do it. Come to think of it, she has always been very vocal of her dislike of me. She was never discreet about threatening to hide my letters. Putting all my doubts and insecurities aside, I have faith that me dear Leonor will not give up on our love.

I guess I'll leave it at that for the mean time.

-Pepe
(Nicole Anne Araos 070238)

No comments:

Post a Comment