Saturday, April 25, 2009

Raging Hormones

Like majority of the youth growing up, I feel compelled to get involved in some sort of physical activity to satisfy my raging hormones is a more decent manner. Since I have no interest in getting into a bar fight because of obvious disadvantages, I have decided to turn to sports. The problem is that I was not gifted with the legs of a giant. In fact, I was not gifted with much legs at all. Some people say I'm only 4'11 but those people probably haven't seen me up close. I believe that I tend to look smaller from afar. So for my pride's sake, lets say that I am 5'2. No questions asked please.


So as I was saying, I tried a few sports in the beginning. The Spaniards heavily favored the sport of football and so most schools had this sport in their system. I gave it a shot and like a brave soldier, I marched on that field and started out as a defender. Eventually, they moved me to the goalie position because of my incredible speed and unmatched reflexes. However, things didn't go quite as planned. Whenever the opposing player would kick the ball to the top corner of the net, I could not reach it! It was an outrage. They were taking advantage of my disadvantage and that didn't make me happy. Despite the onslaught, I stayed on the field diving for loose balls and trying my best to look cool while doing it. After all, there were several pretty senioritas watching. Things were starting to go well until suddenly this gigantic opponent got the ball in a position ahead of everyone else. With no defender in sight, he charged for the goal. It was between me and him. One-on-one. As he approached like a freight train, I tried to guess which side he would kick the ball. Would he go left or would he go right? A second before I could decide, it was too late. He didn't kick the ball left or right. He kicked it straight toward me. In fact, he didn't even try to aim it above my head for a better chance of scoring. He aimed for ME. With little room for reaction time, I hardened my body to my maximum limit. I could feel the blood pumping in my veins and the testosterone flowing through my body. This was it. This was MY moment. I was going to stop that ball no matter what happened. There was only one problem: I didn't stop the ball. In fact, the moment the ball hit me in the gut, I flew right into the net with it. And so the opposing team scored, I could've sworn that I heard some people murmuring that that particular goal should've been worth two goals. The impact from that shot knocked out whatever testosterone was flowing in me, and I'm pretty sure it took most of my dignity with it.


Despite that event, I would soon feel the need for physical activity again. With the memory of the incoming football still clear in my memory, I decided to play it smart this time. I would avoid sports where my size would serve as a major disadvantage and this eventually led me to something I turned out to be pretty good at: fencing. With my previously mentioned unmatched reflexes and incredible speed, I was more than formidable that most of my peers. However, my greatest advantage was the mistake of my opponents in underestimating me because of my *ehem* size. Like the saying goes, never judge a book by its cover. The harder the judge, the harder they fall.


So that's pretty much the interesting portions of my athletic career. I had heard of this sport basketball gaining popularity in America but it has yet to come to the Philippines. I have seen pictures of this sport and in fact, I even had a dream about it. It was very peculiar. I dreamt that in the future, there was a school named after me which had its own basketball team. Unfortunately, they inherited my unluckiness with height-related sports and apparently were not winning much games at all. Now that I think of it, that was more of a nightmare. They should've stuck to fencing. Anyway, I'll end it here. I have found other ways to release my raging hormones but I'd rather not talk about it here. Trust me on that one.


- Pepe

(Gregory Lewis Choa 070758)

No comments:

Post a Comment