Monday, April 27, 2009

Travels to Europe

I cannot stay here any longer. If the rumors about my being blacklisted in the government are true, it will be unsafe for me to pursue my education here. Paciano and I have discussed the possibility of my going overseas in the past, but the time arrived sooner than I thought. Leonor’s father has advised me to flee the country, and I have taken heed to it.

It will be a difficult journey. I will be traveling to unknown lands away from the loving presence of my family and friends, and I will undoubtedly experience the same prejudice every Filipino has felt. However, this has to be done. It is of utmost importance that I receive the best education there is so that I can be able to help my oppressed motherland.

I have decided long ago that when I go to Europe, my first destination will be Spain. The best way to understand these foreigners who have colonized my country is by studying them and taking part in their culture. Living amongst the Spaniards will allow me to observe their behavior and habits, as well as their government and how their system works.


I am also certain that I will meet other Filipinos who have gone to Spain in hope of liberating our homeland. There will be things that I can learn from them which may be invaluable to giving my country the freedom that she has yearned for.

From Spain, I shall travel to France, and perhaps, Germany and Italy. I will be able to gain more knowledge in the field of medicine in those countries, including the study of the eye so that I can treat Mother’s cataracts. Afterwards, I shall head home so that I can immediately treat Mother’s eyes.

I have already been preparing myself for this day; however, it is difficult not to feel lonely and sad at the thought of being away from my loved ones, especially Leonor. I pray she takes good care of herself while I am away, and remember that I will always be with her.

-Pepe

(Lexie Dizon, 071185)

No comments:

Post a Comment