Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Prejudice and Grades

It is difficult not to feel upset upon learning that I have only achieved second honors, despite having the top marks among my peers. This is a rather shallow thing to fuss over, especially if I think of the injustices happening to my brothers at the moment. However, I cannot stop myself from the thought of disappointing my family when they hear of the news. I still remember the look of disappointment Father gave me when I failed to attain the top rank during my first year in school, and I do not want that to happen again.

I suppose it is due to the Spaniards’ pride that this has happened. To be defeated by a Filipino whom they believe is of lower status is unacceptable. The things they have spread concerning their superiority will be questioned if people learn that a Filipino has managed to graduate with top honors, besting even the children of the Spaniards. Every person will want to be educated, and those who have been able to receive formal education will realize that the country is being taken advantage of by the foreigners.

The prejudice they have against the Filipinos is repulsive. I will never forget the injustice they have done to Mother, when the Spaniards decided to use their judicial power to put her in prison because my family has in some way offended them. They have already shown their true colors, yet nobody is willing to act because he fears the Spaniards and believe that they are superior.


As of now, the best recourse is to further my studies. I should put my efforts into learning the various practices and structures of the Western nations. This will be essential in putting the Filipinos at equal level with the Europeans.

I should stop feeling upset and let this incident serve as a motivation for me to succeed in my plans.

-Pepe


(Lexie Dizon, 071185)

No comments:

Post a Comment