Saturday, May 9, 2009

Influenza

There is currently a new strain of virus that has been causing quite a stir in the medical field. And guess what, my classmates (and I) suspect that I have it. We, soon-to-be doctors, were taught by our epidemiology professors that it is called the influenza virus. It is apparently highly contagious since almost a quarter of our class is already affected. What is interesting yet equally fearsome about the virus is that it can easily mutate. Meaning, immunity to one strain does not guarantee you immunity to another newer strain. Right now, I am having a high fever and my body, especially my lower back is aching. I always feel so tired and my head feels heavy that I am pinned on my bed most of the time. I feel dizzy every time I sit or stand up. Even my eyes ache when I move them. I also have sore throat which causes me to lose my appetite.
The symptoms caused by flu perfectly match what I am feeling and it is very likely that I caught one. I already went to a doctor and he took a sample of my blood to test and confirm it. Once confirmed, he will give me antiviral medicine so as to cure my illness. He said that I will be well in a week or two if I stick with his prescription. I really hate getting sick because I just cannot do anything productive, no matter how I try. My body would just give up. I am also on a self-quarantine so I cannot talk to my friends without going closer than 2 meters, more or less. Now that would be a bit awkward. The climate here in Europe certainly does not help as well. The cold penetrates my joints and I am having chills. During these times when I am ill, I especially miss my mother looking after and taking care of me. How I wish I could go home now.
-Pepe (Cabrera, Paulo 060521)

No comments:

Post a Comment