Monday, May 4, 2009

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

I'm not just a revolutionary, but also a romantic. In every story, the love between a hero and his damsel can stir up hearts as much as the most poetic string of words. That being said, my current project is still missing that certain romantic flair that would add fuel to the fire of my vision.

I have not encountered much trouble envisioning the hero of my story. Truth be told, I need only to take a moment and reflect on my life to know what he is going to be like. In search for his female counterpart, I figured that I would utilize the same method and go over the several women that have been part of my life.

Now you might be fairly surprised but I am actually not so bad with the ladies. There was Nellie, Gertrude, Josephine and I'm pretty sure there was someone named Suzanne. However, after going through these women, I realized that not one of them fitted the image that I was looking for. After pondering for a while, the answer popped in my head. It should've been obvious but there has been a lot of things swirling around my head, but the answer was clear.

I had known Leonor Rivera for quite a long time and there was something about her that sets her apart from the rest. Of all my women, she was the only one able to keep my eyes from straying to other dames. My hero needed someone like that, someone who possesses that same uncanny ability to stick around a man's thoughts with just one look. The way a man is with his woman reflects how he is with his country. And so my hero will love his woman with loyalty and sacrifice, just like how he will love his country.

-Pepe

(Gregory Lewis Choa, 070758)

No comments:

Post a Comment