Tuesday, May 5, 2009

To Kill or not to Kill: Elias or Ibarra?

Today, I was trying to finish the novel I’ve been trying to write for quite a long time now. It’s funny, I’ve never really taken this long in writing masterpieces but there’s just something inside me that makes me want to make this flawless. A word misplaced can trigger a new revolution. It must be perfect.

I’m actually having problems with the ending. I don’t know who should die. Of course, it’s already a given that someone always dies in novels. It’s dramatic, what else can I say? Other than the added effect, I’ve been thinking of the last message my novel will convey. I believe that the ending will have the most lasting effect on my readers, which is why I am trying my best to hone it to be just right.

I think I’m actually going to go with the death of Elias. I do not want to give revolutionists the encouragement they need to start another bloodshed. I believe education is the only way to free us from our close-mindedness. After all, we are not ready to live on our own. We still need Mother Spain to guide us. Elias is reckless and violent. I think his death will suggest the failure of revolution, that there is no use fighting.

Or perhaps I should go with Ibarra? His death might actually put some sense into the minds of my countrymen. However, I believe that the whole story revolves around him. If I plan to make a sequel to this novel, then I must not destroy the character who made it possible.

There are so many story plots going through my mind right now and I really can’t decide. The thought of killing them both even comes to mind. But that would be absurd, of course. This is a novel, not a killing spree. I’m leaning more on the death of Elias, though. I think it plays a more integral role in shaping the minds of my readers. I just hope that they do get the message I am trying to put across.

-Pepe
(Nicole Anne Araos, 070238)

No comments:

Post a Comment